Russian Cocktail or Russian Martini is a not so well-known drink made with Vodka and Gin. Some of the other creamier versions, such as White Russian or Black Russian are better known drinks with the ‘similar’ name Russian than the Russian cocktail.
The Russian Cocktail is a clean clear drink with plenty of richness without being creamy. It is served as a martini: up without ice in a chilled martini glass. Unlike many of the martinis, the drink has two base spirits, Gin and Vodka. Some of the popular drinks like the Vesper also have multiple base spirits, so it is not rare but unusual.
The drink has a frosty look when first poured into the glass, which clears into a clear drink in some time.
- 1 shot of Gin
- 1 shot of Vodka
- 1 shot of Creme de Cocoa
- 1 stemmed Maraschino Cherry to garnish (optional)
- Add ice cubes into a martini shaker
- Add 1 shot of Vodka into the shaker
- Add 1 shot of the Gin into the shaker
- Add 1 shot of Creme de Cacao into the shaker
- Shake well to mix the ingredients
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with a Maraschino Cherry
Variations and Similar Drinks
Vesper Martini: Another martini made with both Gin and Vodka as base spirits. It has Lillet Blanc instead of crème de cacao and is lighter.
Absinthe Minded Martini: The Russian cocktail looks very similar to an absinthe minded martini, in its look and feel which also has the crème de cacao and vodka in it.
There are not many direct variations of the drink, which has the similar taste and flavor. But there are some drinks which have a similar name, having the word Russian in them …that is.
White Russian: A richer creamier dessert drink made with Kahlua and cream.
Black Russian: A vodka and Kahlua drink
Dirty Black Russian: A variation of the Black Russian with coke.
- Always serve the drink well shaken. The Creme de Cacao is a creamy liqueur which needs to be mixed well with the base.
- Use a good quality premium Gin such as Hendricks for this drink.