The Dirty Black Russian cocktail is a highball variation of the traditional Black Russian drink. It is made pretty much along the same way as a traditional Black Russian is made, but is topped off with Cola. The drink is sometimes also referred to as the Black Russian with Coke or a Tall Black Russian. This is a high ball drink served over ice with no garnish.
The addition of the cola is what makes the Black Russian a Dirty Black Russian. It is called the tall black russian because the drink usually served as a high ball. This is a pretty easy drink to make as it has only three ingredients which are easy to get.
- 3 shots of Vodka
- 2 shots of Coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua
- Any kind of Cola
- Chill a highball cocktail glass with ice cubes
- Add ice cubes into a cocktail shaker or a large glass
- Add vodka to the cocktail shaker
- Add coffee liqueur into the shaker
- Stir well to mix
- Empty the shaker into the chilled highball
- Top the highball with a large splash of the cola
Variations and Similar Drinks
Vader: Substitute Cola with Jägermeister.
Smooth Black Russian: Also known as the Irish Russian, the cola in the Dirty Black Russian recipe is substituted with Guinness stout.
Peri’s Black Russian: The vodka in the Dirty Black Russian is substituted by Vanilla Vodka.
Brown Russian: The Cola in the recipe is substituted with Ginger Ale.
Tips and Notes
- The popular coffee liqueurs are Tia Maria and Kahlua. You may use either of them.
- This recipe is a variation of the traditional Black Russian cocktail. You can also checkout the more popular White Russian which is a variation of the Black Russian.
- Even though it is just as easy to stir the Vodka and Kahlua in the highball, i suggest that it be shaken as it mixes the ingredients better.