The Tequila Martini is a drink that is more or less a variation of the classic martini either the Vodka Martini or the Gin Martini. The base spirit in this recipe is the tequila. The other ingredient is sweet vermouth much like the other classic martinis.
This recipe for the tequila martini also calls for some orange bitters as well, which is slightly different from a standard or classic martini recipe. Although some earlier recipes of classic martinis called for bitters.
- 3 shots of Reposado Tequila
- 1/2 a shot of Dry Vermouth
- 3 dashes of orange bitters
- Add ice cubes into a martini shaker
- Add 3 shots of Tequila such as Casadores Reposado
- Add half a shot of Dry Vermouth into the shaker
- Shake the contents well
- Add 3 to 4 dashes of orange bitters into a chilled martini glass
- Swirl the bitters around the glass to evenly coat the sides
- Strain the contents of the shaker into the glass
Variations and Similar Drinks
- Classic Vodka Martini: The classic vodka martini uses Vodka as the base instead of Tequila.
- Classic Gin Martini: The base spirit is Gin in this recipe instead of the Tequila. Also, bitters are not used anymore.
Notes and Tips
- Orange bitters are not the most common of the bitters to be readily available. There are several different brands of orange bitters such as Fee Brothers Western Indian Orange Bitters, Angostura Orange Bitters or Regan’s Orange Bitters.
- You could add the bitters directly into the shaker and shake it with the other ingredients. I prefer to swirl it around in the glass as i think it gives a better flavor to the drink.
- The orange bitters works better in the tequila martini than it does in Gin or Vodka martini. So you should not omit the bitters.
- Although the drink recipe does not specify a garnish, you could a lemon or lime peel as garnish.