A Vodka martini can be viewed as a variation of the traditional Martini. A traditional martini, commonly refereed to as just Martini is made with Gin and Vermouth. In a Vodka martini, the Gin is substituted with Vodka.
Since the emergence of Martini’s in the 1890s, it has undergone many changes. Early versions were made with gin and sweet vermouth which got replaced with dry vermouth. Even orange bitters were part of the drink in the early 20th century. Since then the bitters have been completely eliminated, Vodka and Gin are used almost interchangeably and the proportion of vermouth is down to the minimum.
The Vodka martini is also sometimes known as Vodkatini.
- 3 shots of Vodka
- 1/2 shot of Dry Vermouth
- Olives to garnish
Recipe or Preparation
- Add ice cubes into a martini shaker
- Add 3 shots of the Vodka into the shaker
- Add 1/2 shot of the dry Vermouth into the shaker
- Shake the ingredients well
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with an olive
Variations and Similar Drinks
Martini or Gin Martini: Substitute the Vodka in this recipe with Gin.
Reverse or Upside down Martini: The proportions of the ingredients are reversed with the dry vermouth being the major ingredient.
Extra Dry Vodka Martini: Instead of adding the vermouth to the shaker, rinse the cocktail glass with vermouth and discard the excess.
Dirty Martini: Add a generous splash of olive juice into the shaker to create a dirty version of the vodkatini.
Tips and Notes
- The amount of Dry Vermouth used in the above recipe varies wildly between recipes. The martini gets “drier” as less amount of vermouth used, as in the extra dry martini.
- You may also stir the ingredients rather than shaking it. The Gin Martini is usually stirred than shaken. You can go either way with Vodka.
- Sometimes, it is served over ice in a shortball. But the classic martini is always served up in a martini glass.
- Always use a high quality premium Vodka, as it is the major ingredient of the drink. The quality of the drink depends very much on the quality of the Vodka used.