The Cosmopolitan is a fruity cocktail served up without ice in martini cocktail glass. It is made with vodka, orange liqueur and fruit juices. It is a very popular drink mostly because of its fruity taste, I presume. It does have a freshness to it because of the fresh lime juice.
There are several variations of the drink and the proportions of the ingredients can be vary depending on your own taste. The most popular variation is probably the Metropolitan Cocktail which uses the Currant Vodka instead of the Citron Vodka in this recipe.
As the drink is served in a martini glass, it is usually mistaken as a martini. The cosmopolitan is more of a cocktail than a martini, however the terms are more or less used inter-changeably in modern times.
- 4 parts Vodka Citron
- 2 parts Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 2 parts Cranberry Juice
- 1 part Lime Fresh Juice
- Lemon Slice or Wedge for garnish
- Add ice cubes into a martini or cocktail shaker
- Add all ingredients into the shaker
- Shake well to mix the ingredients
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with a lemon slice
Variations and Similar Drinks
Peach Cosmopolitan : Substitutes Peach Schnapps for the orange liqueur and Peach juice instead of the cranberry juice
Rum Cosmo : Substiute the Vodka Citron with White Rum
Blue Cosmopolitan : Uses white cranberry juice instead of the standard red one. Also substitute the Cointreau with Blue Curacao
Cosmoquila : Substitute the Vodka Citron with Tequila
Metropolitan : Use Currant Vodka (Blackberry) instead of the Vodka Citron
- You can use Rose’s Sweetened Lime Juice instead of Fresh Lime Juice which reduce the tartness of the drink and make it much sweeter.
- You can use any of the orange liqueurs available, if you do not have Cointreau or Triple Sec.
- The drink should be frothy and bright pink in color.