The down and dirty dry martini is a variation of the classic Gin martini. This drink does not contain any vermouth when compared to the traditional martini. The drink is usually served with a lemon peel as garnish instead of the olives in the traditional martini.
So, what makes this drink dirty is the olive brine in the drink. What makes it dry is the absence of any vermouth when compared to the classic martini.
- 3 shots of Gin
- 1 shot of the olive brine
- a lemon peel for garnish
- Fill a martini shaker with some ice cubes
- Add 3 shots of Gin into the shaker
- Add a shot of olive brine or olive juice into the shaker
- Shake the contents of the shaker well
- Strain the contents into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish the drink with a lemon peel
Variations and Similar Drinks
Classic Gin Martini: A classic gin martini contains dry vermouth as an additional ingredient and is garnished with olives.
Vodka Martini: A vodka martini uses Vodka as the base spirit and contains dry vermouth in addition to the olive juice.
Tips and Notes
- Use a good quality Gin such as Hendricks or Boodles for a good tasting drink. But you could very well use a Gin of your choice.
- Olive Brines are hard to come by itself or is not usually handy, so use the brine in the olive bottle which is just as good.
- You could use olives as a garnish as well, even though the recipe calls for lemon peel.