A Metropolitan Cocktail is a variation of the much more popular Cosmopolitan martini cocktail. The major difference between the two drinks is in the flavor of the base spirit that is used. The Cosmopolitan uses the Vodka Citron which is a lemon (or citron) flavored while Metropolitan uses Vodka Kurant.
Kurant is a flavored vodka with the flavor of black currant or blackberry and with a hint of both tartness and sweetness. As the Cosmopolitan, the Metropolitan cocktail is a fruity martini cocktail which is on the sweeter side.The blackberry flavored vodka are considered to be specialty vodka that is available from some of the brands. Some of the popular ones are Absolut Kurant, Stoli Blakberi, or Burnett’s Blackberry.
The drink is said to have been created by Chuck Coggins at the Marion’s in New York city. It is a fairly recent or modern drink, since about the 1990s. I have seen different recipes of metropolitan cocktail call for different garnishes. You could use a lemon slice, cherries or blackberries as a garnish.
- 3 parts Kurant Vodka
- 1 part Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 part Cranberry Juice
- A dash of Lime Juice
- Lime Slice or cherry for garnish
- Add some ice cubes into a martini or cocktail shaker
- Add three shots of the Kurant Vodka (Absolut Kurant) into the shaker
- Add 1 shot of Cointreau into the shaker
- Add 1 shot of Cranberry juice into the shaker
- Add a big dash of the lime juice
- Shake well to mix all the ingredients
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with a lime slice or cherry
Variations and Similar Drinks
Cosmopolitan: The traditional Cosmopolitan substitutes Kurant Vodka with either Vodka or Vodka Citron.
White Cosmopolitan: A variation of the traditional Cosmopolitan, where Citron Vodka and white cranberry juice is used, instead of the Kurant and red cranberry juice.
- You can use other orange liqueurs if you do not have Cointreau or Triple Sec available.
- There is a different drink by the same name (ie, also called Metropolitan cocktail), which is made with Brandy and Sweet Vermouth. This drink is actually more of a variation of the Manhattan or Brandy Manhattan.
- If you like the traditional Cosmopolitan better, then check out the Cosmopolitan recipe.