The Jalisco Express is a tequila based cocktail that contain a coffee liqueur and agave syrup. The drink is quite on the sweet side which makes it appropriate as an after dinner cocktail or as dessert drink.
I was not able to find much information about the origin of the drink. The drink is not widely popular unlike some of the other tequila drinks. Jalisco refers to one of the States of Mexico located in the south western part of the country. The region is famous for its tequila and I reckon the name of the drink refers to the same.
Both the Coffee liqueur and the agave syrup contribute to the sweetness of the drink. You can try paring it down to reduce the sweetness to suite your taste. You can use a coffee liqueur of your choice such Kahlua or Tia Maria. I prefer Kahlua in this drink though.
- 3 shots of Silver Tequila
- 1.5 shots of Kahlua or a Coffee liqueur
- 0.5 shot of Agave Syrup
- Fill a martini shaker with some ice
- Add 3 shots of Silver Tequila into the shaker
- Add 1 and a half shots of Kahlua into the shaker
- Add about half a shot of the agave syrup
- Shake the contents of shaker well, enough to dissolve the thick syrup
- Strain the contents into a chilled martini glass
Variations and Similar Drinks
Black Russian: The Black Russian uses Vodka instead of the Tequila, and there is no sweetener either.
Kahlua Espresso Martini: A similar drink that is also heavy on coffee flavor.
Espresso Martini: Another coffee drink that is pretty similar and can be served as a dessert drink
Notes and Tips
- As noted, the drink is quite sweet. You should be able to control the sweetness by varying the proportion of the Agave syrup although you cannot completely eliminate it.
- You could use a coffee bean as garnish, but it is not usually served with a garnish.