As with most other drinks, there are at least a couple of different variations of the Absinthe Minded Martini. This is the variation that I like the best and I believe is a original recipe. This is a delicious drink which brings out the taste of absinthe even for non-absinthe drinkers.
The drink is creamy and slightly on the sweet side, but by no means sweet. The Absinthe and the Cointreau give it an unique flavor and taste. The base spirit is always Vodka for this drink. It is the creme de cacao that adds the creaminess to the drink.
Absinthe is an essential ingredient of this drink. Some recipes call for the absinthe to be added to the ingredients into the shaker and shaken. I prefer the absinthe to be swirled in the chilled martini glass which seems to affect the flavor of the drink.
- 2 shots of Vodka
- 1 shot of Crème de cacao
- 1 shot of Cointreau
- Couple of dashes of Absinthe
- A Cherry or an Orange peel for garnish
- Put ice cubes into a martini shaker
- Pour 2 shots of your favorite Vodka into the shaker
- Add a shot of the Crème de Cacao
- Add a shot of the Cointreau
- Shake all the ingredients about 5 to 10 times
- Put a dash of the absinthe into a chilled martini glass and swirl it around so that the glass is thickly coated.
- Empty the excess absinthe from the glass.
- Strain the content of the shaker into the chilled glass
- Garnish with a cherry
Tips and Notes
- Absinthe is a very strong liquorice tasting liqueur so go easy on it. A big dash of it should be plenty enough.
- Too much of the absinthe will overpower the other ingredients in the drink.
- You could substitute Grand Marnier instead of the Cointreau but I strongly recommend Cointreau as a mixer.
- You can also use an orange peel for garnish instead of the cherry.
- Use a good quality Vodka and a vodka of your preference.
- Make sure to chill the martini glass before starting on the preparation.
- A shot is usually about 1.5 ounces. Your shot glass size size may vary, but it should be fine as long as you keep the proportions of the ingredients correct.
- There are several other variations of the Absinthe Minded martini, which usually does not include the cacao. And an absinthe martini is different than an absinthe minded martini.