The Screwdriver cocktail is one of most popular highball drinks with numerous variations. As with most highballs, the screwdriver drink recipe contains just two ingredients and is pretty easy to make.
The drink gets its unique name because of the preparation process involved in its earlier days. The legend has it that the American engineers in the middle east often added vodka into the orange juice cans and stirred it with a screwdriver to make this drink.
In many parts of the world, this drink is better known as Vodka and Orange.
- Fill a tall Collins glass or a tumbler with ice cubes
- Add 2 shots of vodka into the glass
- Add 4 shots of Orange Juice in to the glass to top it off
- Using a long bar spoon, stir the ingredients well
- Garnish with an orange slice
Most variations of the screwdriver drink involves substituting the vodka with another basic spirit such as Whiskey, Rum, Tequila etc. Almost every region has a variation that involves the locally popular liquor.
Mexican Screw: Substitute vodka with Tequila
Comfortable Screw: Substitute the vodka in the recipe with Southern Comfort
American Screw: Substitute vodka with Bourbon Whiskey
Cuban Screw: Substitute vodka in the recipe with Cuban Rum
French Screw: Add Cognac instead of Vodka
Left Handed Screwdriver: Substitute Vodka with Gin to create a left handed screwdriver drink.
Rusty Screw: Brandy is used instead of the Vodka
- You can vary the proportions to make the screwdriver cocktail stronger without altering the taste as such.
- You can also try serving the drink as a martini in a cocktail glass, instead of a highball.
- Instead of one orange slice for garnish, use multiple slices to garnish the drink
- Use freshly squeezed orange juice if available.