D.O.M cocktail is a drink made with Gin as base spirit and Bénédictine herbal liqueur. The drink is pretty refreshing with the orange juice, which is one of the major ingredient. You will also see this drink named as DOM cocktail (with out the dots or periods).
Bénédictine is a herbal liqueur from the 19th century which is produced in France. The D.O.M cocktail takes its name from the Bénédictine liqueur. Every bottle of Bénédictine has the initials D.O.M on its label. By itself, it has medicinal qualities and definitely a medicinal flavor which makes it rather tricky to use in cocktails. Most times you will see it used sparingly.
In spite of it being one of the easier drinks to make with the Bénédictine, it is not a popular drink that you see in very many places.
- 2 shots of Gin
- 1/2 shot of Bénédictine liqueur
- 1 shot of orange juice
- An orange twist for garnish
- Add ice cubes into a martini shaker
- Add 2 shots of Gin into the shaker
- Add 1/2 shots of the D.O.M Bénédictine liqueur
- Add 1 shot of Orange Juice into the shaker
- Shake well to mix the ingredients
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with a flamed orange twist
Variations and Similar Drinks
Monkey Gland: A splash of Grenadine with some absinthe makes a Monkey Gland.
Smart Christine: Equal proportions of orange juice and Gin instead of the 2 to 1 proportion this recipe.
Gypsy: Substitute Gin with Vodka and add a splash of the lemon juice as well.
- Use freshly squeezed orange juice when possible. It gives a much more refreshing taste to the drink.
- The recipe calls for a flamed orange twist, but a twisted orange peel will suffice just as well.