There is Black Russian and then there is Brave Bull. It is hard to say which is a variant of the other…but both are similar highball drinks with Vodka and Tequila as the base spirit respectively. The Brave Bull is one of what is known as the Duo family of cocktails. The cocktails in this family has only two ingredients: a base spirit and a liqueur.
The drink is said to have originated from the 1951 action movie, The Brave Bulls which is a western based on bull fighting in Mexico. I am yet to see the movie, so I cannot vouch for the story. If any of you have seen it, then let me know.
Some other recipes that I have seen call for a garnish, usually a lemon peel…which in my opinion does not work. I prefer the drink without any garnish.
- 3 shots of Tequila (preferably blanco)
- 1.5 shots of Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
- Ice cubes
- Add ice cubes into a chilled rocks glass
- Add 3 shots of tequila into the glass
- Add a shot and a half of Kahlua into the glass
- Stir the contents of the glass using a bar spoon
- Serve (with no garnish)
Variations and Similar Drinks
Considering that this drink is quite simple with only two ingredients, there is not many variations of the drink based on ingredients. However, you can vary the sweetness of the drink by varying the proportion of Kahlua.
Tips and Notes
- Feel free to play around with the proportions to suit your taste. Increase the proportion of Kahlua for a sweeter drink.
- Some recipes suggest a one to one ratio for the Tequila and Kahlua, which works just as well as this recipe.
- You can use a highball, rocks or an old-fashioned glass for this drink.
- Although White or Blanco Tequila is called for, you can use a tequila of your choice without much difference in taste. I prefer Cazadores Reposado.