The Black Rose cocktail is a drink with the base spirit as whiskey and usually is made with bourbon. This is a variation of the much more popular and classic Sazerac drink. There are quite a few drinks with the name of Black Rose, many of which are not variations of this recipe but are completely different drinks.
This drink uses Bourbon as the base spirit, and the taste and flavour of the whiskey is enhanced by two other ingredients: Bitters and Grenadine.
- 2 shots of Bourbon
- 2 dashes of Grenadine
- 2 dashes of Peychaud’s bitters
- Lemon peel to garnish
- Fill an old-fashioned glass with ice, about three-fourth of the glass
- Add 2 shots of Bourbon Whiskey
- Add 2 generous dashes of the grenadine
- Add 2 dashes of the Peychaud’s bitters
- Stir with a long bar spoon to mix well.
- Garnish with a twisted lemon peel
Variations and Similar Drinks
Being a simple drink, the black rose cocktail does not have much variations.
Sazerac can be viewed as a variation of this drink recipe.
Grenadine is the sweetener in this recipe. You can increase or decrease the proportion of grenadine to suite your taste.
As this drink is served on the rocks, you can vary the amount of ice used. This will allow you to water down the whisky a bit if needed.