Scotch and Soda is a highball drink for those who do not like the raw smoky taste of Scotch on the Rocks. This drink mediates the alcoholic smoky taste of the Scotch while still preserving its flavors. Obviously, as each Scotch has its own unique flavor, the taste would depend entirely on the quality and taste of the whisky itself.
If you are a scotch aficionado then it is very likely that you will hate this drink, just for diluting the premium Scotch Whisky if not for anything else. Your preferred drink in that case would much likely be the Scotch on the rocks. The club soda is pretty neutral in taste, but it does add a little fizz to the drink. It is probably a good drink if you are not too crazy about the smokiness and flavor of the scotch.
- 2 shots of Premium Scotch Whisky of your choice
- 2 shots of Club Soda
- Ice Cubes
- Fill an old fashioned glass with ice cubes
- Add Scotch Whisky to the glass
- Add Club Soda to top it off
- Stir lightly using a stirrer or a long spoon
- The drink has no garnish
- You can vary the proportion of the scotch to soda according to your taste. I prefer a 1:1 ratio which dilutes the whisky just enough but still retains the smoky flavor of the scotch.
- Like any other highball drinks, you can use any proportion such 1:1, 1:2 or 1:4. Some do make the drink with a 2:1 ratio of whiskey to soda, which works just as well.
- Scotch and soda drink is usually made as a highball drink, it can also be made in a short glass or a low ball especially if you prefer a 1:1 ratio of the ingredients.
- Also, minimizing the ice in the drink is a good idea. This helps to keep the dilution of the drink to a minimum.