Appletini or the Apple Martini is a refreshing martini cocktail made with Vodka and one or more of the apple flavored juices or liqueurs. There are various different recipes for this that has been developed over the years, but most of it follows the simple rule that it is made with a Vodka or Apple flavored Vodka as the base spirit and include an apple juice or an apple liqueur as the other main ingredient.
The liqueurs that are commonly found in such recipes are Apple Brandy, Apple Schnapps, Sour Apple Liqueur or any other kind of apple flavored liqueurs. You can also use apple juice or apple cider as an ingredient to the drink in order to give it some freshness.
There are quite a few variations of this cocktail. The variations mostly stem from the fact that there are quite a few apple flavored spirits that can be used.
- 3 shots of Grey Goose Vodka
- 1 shot of Apple Schnapps or Calvados
- 1 shot of Cointreau
- Green Apple slice for Garnish
- Add ice cubes to a cocktail shaker
- Add 3 shots of a Premium Vodka such as Grey Goose into the shaker
- Add 1 shot of Apple Schnapps into the shaker
- Add 1 shot of Cointreau into the shaker
- Shake to mix well
- Strain the content of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with a green apple slice or a green apple twist
Variations or Similar Drinks
A common variation of the Appletini is the Rumpletini, which uses Light Rum in place of the vodka as the base liqour.
Sour Apple Martini : You can substitute a big splash of Lime Juice instead of Cointreau to make it sour.
Classic Apple Martini : Use a splash or about 1/2 a shot of Dry Vermouth instead of Cointreau, and it gives a Classic Apple Martini which is a take on the Classic Vodka Martini.
Pine-Apple Martini : If you use 1/2 shot of pineapple juice instead of Cointreau, then you get a Pine-Apple martini.
Rumpletini: Substitute Vodka with Rum to get Rumpletini.
- You may use Apple Juice or Apple Cider instead of the Cointreau in the drink.
- You can also substitute the Cointreau with Sweet and Sour Mix or the Sour Apple liqueur to get a more tart taste.
- Apple slice can oxidize and turn brown when used as the garnish. Keep the slice dipped in a bowl of 7-up or Sprite to prevent oxidation.
- Increase the proportion of Apple Schnapps or apple syrup to get it even more green in color.
- Instead of using a slice you can also cut up apple in even squares and skewer it and use it as a garnish. Another option for garnish is an apple peel twist.
- You can also use Smirnoff Green Apple Vodka instead of Grey Goose vodka.
- If this is to be served as a summer drink, then serve it in a tall glass with ice and top of the glass with Lemon-lime soda.