The Perfect Rob Roy drink is based on the traditional or classic Rob Roy drink which is made with Scotch Whisky and Sweet Vermouth. The Perfect Rob Roy contains equal proportions of both the sweet and the dry vermouth in addition to the Scotch Whisky.
This actually makes it a variation of the Perfect Manhattan as well which is made with the Rye Whiskey. The drink is usually served up in a martini glass, although you can also try in on the rocks in an old fashioned glass.
- 2 shots of Blended Scotch Whisky
- 1 shot of French Dry Vermouth
- 1 shot of Italian Sweet Vermouth
- Maraschino cherry or lemon twist for garnish
- Add ice cubes to a martini shaker
- Add 2 shots of Scotch Whisky into the shaker
- Add 1 shot of French Dry Vermouth to the shaker
- Add 1 shot of Italian Sweet Vermouth to the shaker
- Shake well to mix the ingredients
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with a lemon twist
Variations and Similar Drinks
- Rob Roy: Avoid the Dry vermouth completely from this recipe and then a couple of dashes of Angostura bitters.
- Dry Rob Roy: Avoid the Sweet vermouth completely from this recipe. Use 1 shot of Dry vermouth with 3 shots of the Scotch Whisky.
- Perfect Manhattan: Substitute the Scotch Whisky with Rye or Bourbon Whiskey.
- Another variation is equal parts of all three ingredients: Scotch Whisky, Dry Vermouth and Sweet Vermouth. This makes the drink even sweeter which may not be to everybody’s taste, but then this is on the sweeter side to start with.
- You can use either the Single Malt or the Blended Scotch Whisky for this drink. The flavor and smokiness of the whisky used will influence the taste of the drink.
- Some recipes call for bitters to be used, just as with the classic Rob Roy drink but it is not necessary.
- You can also use a maraschino cherry as garnish as the drink is on the sweeter side although not as much the classic Rob Roy martini.