The D.O.M cocktail is a drink made with Gin as base spirit and Bénédictine herbal liqueur. The drink is pretty refreshing with the orange juice, which is one of the major ingredient. You will also see this drink named as DOM cocktail (without the dots).
Bénédictine is a herbal liqueur from the 19th century which is produced in France. The D.O.M cocktail takes its name from the Bénédictine liqueur. Every bottle of Bénédictine has the initials D.O.M on its label. By itself, it has medicinal qualities and definitely a medicinal flavor which makes it rather tricky to use in cocktails. Most times you will see it used sparingly.
In spite of it being one of the easier drinks to make with the Bénédictine, it is not a popular drink that you see in very many places. Both the Gin and Bénédictine have unique herbal qualities and flavour, which makes the proportions in the drink quite important. The brand of Gin that is used also affects the flavour, as each Gin has an unique taste.
- 2 shots of Gin
- 1/2 shot of Bénédictine liqueur
- 1 shot of orange juice
- An orange twist for garnish
- Add ice cubes into a martini shaker
- Add 2 shots of Gin into the shaker
- Add 1/2 shots of the D.O.M Bénédictine liqueur
- Add 1 shot of Orange Juice into the shaker
- Shake well to mix the ingredients
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with a flamed orange twist
Variations and Similar Drinks
Monkey Gland: A splash of Grenadine with some absinthe makes a Monkey Gland martini. This is a sweeter version of the drink.
Smart Christine: Equal proportions of orange juice and Gin instead of the 2 to 1 proportion this recipe. This is a juicier and fruitier version of the same drink.
Gypsy: Substitute Gin with Vodka and add a splash of the lemon juice as well.
- Use freshly squeezed orange juice when possible. It gives a much more refreshing taste to the drink.
- The recipe calls for a flamed orange twist, but a twisted orange peel will suffice just as well.
- Go easy on the Bénédictine liqueur, as it has a very distinct and unique taste which can overpower flavours of other ingredients.
- Use a good quality Gin or a Gin of your choice. The flavour of the Gin can enhance the taste of the drink dramatically.