Vodka and Tonic, or often called Vodka Tonic is a refreshing highball cocktail made with Vodka, tonic and lime or lemon. As you might already know, this is quite similar to the Gin and Tonic drink which has the same ingredients expect for the base. In the Gin and Tonic…it is the flavor, taste and aroma of Gin that stands out, but Vodka itself does not have a flavor or smell and the drink itself is quite clean and smooth.
The drink is made in many different proportions each varying according to one’s own taste and preference of strength. It is almost always garnished with a slice or wedge of the lime or lemon.
- 3 shots of Vodka
- 5 shots of Tonic water
- Slice of lemon or lime for garnish
- Chill a highball glass in the freezer. (optional)
- Fill the glass with large ice cubes up to the brim.
- Pour the Vodka of your choice over the ice
- Pour tonic water into the glass up to the brim to top it off
- Stir with a long stirrer to mix well
- Squeeze a lemon wedge into the glass
- Garnish the drink with a lemon or lime slice
Variations and Similar Drinks
- Vodka and Tonic can made in several ratios including 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 3:5 etc. It is almost always the tonic water has the larger proportion than the vodka. I prefer the ratio of 3 to 5, which is very much on the stronger side.
- The taste of tonic comes from the quinine which is present in the tonic water giving it its unusual bitter taste. You may also try with a couple of drops of bitter to increase the bitterness and flavor of the drink.
- Gin and Tonic: Similar drink made with Gin instead of Vodka.
- Use a high quality Vodka so that drink has a refreshing and smooth taste, rather than being overly alcoholic.
- Never substitute tonic water with soda. Even though soda has the necessary carbonation, it does not contain quinine which gives tonic its unique taste.
- Although vodka and tonic is a highball drink, you could also serve it as a lowball.