The Upside Down Martini is a variation of the traditional or classic Gin or Vodka martini. The ingredients are the same as in a traditional Gin martini but the proportions vary, almost inverting the proportions of Gin and Vermouth. It is not hard to see where this recipe gets its name from.
This drink got its reputation as being the favorite and a creation of Julia Child, the famous american chef. The Upside Down Martini is also known as the Reverse Martini. As the major ingredient in the drink is the dry vermouth, it is pretty light and refreshing in taste.
Be sure to use a good quality vermouth such as Dolin Blanc, as the taste and flavor of the dry vermouth will dictate the taste of the drink. Good quality ingredients are the prime factor in a good tasting drink.
- 3 shots of Dry Vermouth
- 1 shot of Gin
- Lemon Peel to garnish
- Fill a martini shaker with some ice cubes
- Add 3 shots of dry vermouth into the shaker
- Add 1 shot of your favorite Gin into the shaker
- Shake the ingredients a few times (some prefer to stir rather than shake)
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled martini glass
- Garnish with a lemon peel (or an olive)
Variations and Similar Drinks
This drink is so simple that almost any drink with Gin and another aperitif can be argued to be a variation of this recipe. Some of the popular variations are:
Gin Martini: The classic Gin martini is a variation in that it differs only in the proportions of the ingredients.
Vodka Martini or Vodkatini: The classic Vodka martini uses Vodka instead of the Gin in the recipe.
Tips and Notes
- Many times the drink is served stirred rather than shaken. You may choose either depending on your preference.
- Because the dominant ingredient is an aperitif, the drink should be served as chilled as possible, in a chilled glass for best flavour.
- Just as with a classic martini, you can use Vodka as a substitute for Gin in this recipe.
- There is a similarly named drink known as the Pineapple Upside Down Martini, which is a completely different drink than this.
- You may also garnish with olives, if you don’t have a lemon peel.