Sweet Vermouth is an aromatic fortified wine that has been infused with various different botanicals such as flowers, seeds, fruit peels, roots, barks and spices. Sweet Vermouth has traditional been used an aperitif, although there are several different cocktails that use vermouth as an ingredient.
When served as an aperitif, it is usually served in a small aperitif or digestive glass either cold or at room temperature. Another common way to drink sweet vermouth is on the rocks in a short ball or rocks glass. There are also several martinis, such as the Sweet Vermouth Martini where this is a major ingredient.
This drink is also known by the name of Groundhog Day Cocktail. The drink gets its name from the movie Groundhog Day, where this is the favorite drink of Rita the character played Andie MacDowell. Phil, played by Bill Murray orders this drink repeatedly during the course of the movie.
- Sweet Vermouth
- Ice Cubes
- Lemon Twist
Recipe or Preparation
- Add some ice cubes into a chilled rocks glass
- Pour about 2 shots of sweet vermouth over the ice
- Garnish the drink with a lemon twist
Variations and Similar drinks
You could have sweet vermouth neat or straight up with out the ice. When having as a digestive or an after dinner drink, it is desirable to have it with out the ice or garnish. The ice tends to dilute the drink a bit over time. Be sure to chill the sweet vermouth beforehand.
Sweet Vermouth Martini: A mixed drink where sweet vermouth is a major ingredient.
Tips and Notes
- A good quality sweet vermouth is to be preferred as you are not mixing it with anything else. The drink is going to taste only as good as the vermouth itself.
- Chilling the sweet vermouth beforehand is also a good idea. The drink taste much better chilled than at room temperature.