Sweet Martini is a drink made with Gin (or Vodka) and sweet vermouth. It is very similar to a Classic Gin Martini in that it uses sweet vermouth instead of the dry. The Sweet Martini which is also sometimes referred to as the Sweet Vermouth Martini dates back to the 19th century and is one of the earliest of cocktails.
Since the early part of 20th century, the drink is often called the Gin and It. The drink takes its name from one of the ingredients, which is the sweet vermouth. It is an easy drink to make as it has only two major ingredients.
- 3 shots of Gin
- 1 shot of Italian Sweet Vermouth
- Couple of dashes of Orange Bitters
- Orange Twist for garnish
- Put ice cubes into a martini shaker
- Pour three shots of your favorite Gin into the shaker
- Add a generous shot of Sweet Vermouth
- Shake the ingredients about 5-10 times
- Put a generous dash of orange bitters into a chilled martini glass and swirl it around
- Strain the contents of the martini shaker into the chilled glass
- Garnish with a orange twist
Variations and Similar Drinks
Gin and It: Gin and It is very similar drink to the Sweet Vermouth martini. Many times the exact same recipe is given the same name as well. The difference between the two recipes, as I see it is the bitters.
Manhattan: Manhattan is another drink which is similar, but uses the Bourbon or Rye Whiskey as the base instead of Gin.
Tips & Notes
You can use any sweet vermouth though I prefer Martini & Rossi. Other sweet vermouth brands include Noilly Prat and Cinzano.
You can also substitute Gin with Vodka, but Gin is preferred for its herbal flavor.
You can use any bitters that you like. Many recipes call for Angostura bitters instead of the orange bitters.
A shot is usually about 1.5 ounces.