Rob Roy drink is a cocktail that is similar to a traditional Manhattan but made with Scotch Whiskey instead of the Rye Whiskey. This drink is sometimes also referred to as the Scotch Manhattan. The traditional version of this drink is usually sweet as it is made with the sweet vermouth. It can also be made as dry or perfect, depending on the type and ratio of the vermouth used in the recipe.
This version of the Rob Roy drink is believed to have been created at the Waldorf Hotel bar in New york, in honor of the opera Rob Roy based on the Scottish folk hero Robert Roy MacGregor.
- 3 shots of Scotch Whiskey
- 1 shot of Sweet Vermouth
- Three of dashes of bitters
- Lemon Peel for garnish
- Add crushed ice into a cocktail shaker or mixing glass
- Add 3 shots of Scotch Whiskey into the shaker<
- Add 1 shot of the Sweet Vermouth into the shaker
- Add two or three of dashes of the bitters
- Stir well using a long bar spoon
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled cocktail or martini glass
- Garnish with a lemon peel or maraschino cherry
Blended Scotch Whiskey is most commonly used for this recipe, and the taste of the drink is influenced by the type of the whiskey used.
A maraschino cherry can also be used as the garnish instead of the lemon peel, especially for sweet and perfect versions of the drink.
The Rob Roy drink is usually stirred rather than shaken and served up in a martini glass.
Variations and Similar Drinks
Perfect Rob Roy: Equal parts of sweet and dry vermouth is used in this variation along with the scotch whiskey
Dry Rob Roy: Substitute with dry vermouth instead of the sweet vermouth.
Manhattan: A similar drink made with Rye Whiskey instead of the Scotch whiskey.